News

Kimi to NASCAR for 2011

2nd April 2011
The Kimi Raikkonen to NASCAR story is now no April Fool’s prank. On Saturday Kyle Busch Motorsports, a Camping World Truck Series team announced that it had signed the 2007 Formula One World Champion to a limited schedule. "I am really excited to have the opportunity to start my venture into NASCAR with Kyle Busch Motorsports," said Kimi in a statement issued by the team Saturday morning. "Kyle is one of the best in NASCAR, and being able to draw on his knowledge will be a valuable asset as I make my transition to a new form of racing. He has put together an experienced team that builds fast race trucks. "I look forward to being a part of a team that has proven to be a winner on and off the race track." The 25-year old Busch, who also drives in all three of NASCARs top-level series, said: "We are honored that Kimi Raikkonen, a former Formula 1 World Drivers' Champion and proven winner, has chosen to start his career in NASCAR with Kyle Busch Motorsports." "Adding one of the most talented drivers in the world is a continuation of building a team of proven winners and champions at KBM. I look forward to assisting in Kimi's transition to NASCAR as both an owner and teammate." NASCAR previously announced that the Finnish driver was cleared to make his debut at the Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 20th and that has been confirmed in the press release. Raikkonen will test on Monday at Gresham Motorsports Park, a half-mile oval in Georgia. "We’re now going to get him some laps in a truck and see him in Charlotte,” Busch said in a television interview just before qualifying in Martinsville on Saturday morning.